Sunday, September 7, 2014

Freshman Myths

I'm going in to my junior year in college. I didn't really know many freshmen last year, but know quite a few freshmen or freshmen-like* people this year. So, basically, I've been thinking a lot about things I thought freshman year that I've realized aren't true. Enjoy!

*Freshmen-Like People- Any student who is a freshman, acts like one, or is considered one because it's their first year in a traditional university in which they are forced to live on campus.


Myth 1: Soda Will Give Me the Extra Boost I Need This Week.

I used to think that a Coke or a Mountain Dew would really get me through my busy week at school. I would be "good" and get a diet drink, but let's be honest. Those aren't any healthier than the regular drink. In fact, many of them are shown to be worse for you. Seriously, Google any variation of "diet sodas are unhealthy". Check out some research or something. You're intelligent. Anyhoo, I would enjoy that soda and it would keep me going for....an hour? Maybe two? Which, honestly, I probably could have managed without it. The problem with these sugary sodas is that they're not natural (seriously, I will give you a dime for every natural ingredient you can find in that ingredients list on your soda bottle); furthermore, they are high in sugar. So? Because they are high in sugar, it means you'll be really awake for awhile and then you're going to crash. 

Fact: Other drinks are healthier and will give you more energy.
My favorite alternative is green tea (make it yourself, don't buy it, even though Arizona Green Tea tastes like magic in a can), but check out other alternatives here.

You will get as much caffeine as you would in your normal soda, but with less or no sugar. This means, you'll have that burst of caffeine you want to help you stay awake without the sugar crash after a couple of hours. I haven't had a soda in....easily months...that I can think of. When I do have one, it isn't for the caffeine. It's for the taste for a special treat. Don't believe me? Check out this list of caffeine content in your favorite drinks.  




Myth 2: I Need To Dress Up Or I Won't Make Friends
First off, if you're friends care about what you wear in college, you're wasting your time. Dress to impress or dress like a mess. Be you. If they don't like it, they can find someone else to hate on. It's perfectly acceptable to wear yoga pants or sweatpants once or twice...shoot...three times a week. Whatever. However...

Fact: Dressing to Impress Can Yield Success
It has been shown in several research experiments, like this one, that dressing well or dressing in character helps you to succeed in the classroom. You'll often hear variations of this: if you look good, you'll do good (not to be a grammar freak, but *cough* "well"); dress well, do well; dress for success, etc. I used to just wear yoga pants or sweats all the time. Nowadays, I try to wear skirts and nice-looking shirts. Not only does it show your professors that you care about their class (even though you probably don't), but also it tells your brain to get in to the mindset to learn today.



Myth 3: Failing an Exam is Okay and I Don't Need To Do Anything About It
Some professors drop your lowest exam or quiz grade. A lot of students, especially freshmen, take this to mean, "that means I don't need to study for this since he'll drop it anyways". Oh, wouldn't that be nice. 

Fact: If You Fail an Exam, Something Needs To Change
You didn't study? Study it now. The vast majority of your classes will have cumulative finals. What does that mean? It means that the material you failed to learn is on it. Oh, and your final is probably something like 25% of your grade. LEARN IT. 



Myth 4: Skipping a Lecture Isn't a Big Deal
For the first time in your life, attendance (probably) isn't mandatory...or if it is, it only loses you one or two points on your next exam. Whatever. Besides, the syllabus is online, so is the Power Point, and you started this section last class anyways. You sort of know some of the material. You'll be fine. 

Fact: Every Class You Miss Will Affect Your Final Grades
This is a pretty complicated subject, but I'll just post some links from researchers that explain my point in a more technical way. AKA this article. If you Google this topic, it finds about 13 million results, most of which (in the first few pages) all seem to say the same exact thing. If you miss content, you're going to miss the question on the exam. Remember, the Power Point is a summary of what the actual lecture is about. The syllabus just tells you what you covered. The book only tells half of the story. Go to class!


I'm sure I'll add on to this over time, but right now I need to go start making flashcards for Psychology. Bye!

P.S. You can now disregard everything I just said because I'm going to go eat a bunch of sugar. I want a cookie.
  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment